    SubjectRe: page pre-swapping + moving it on cache-list
    On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

    > What's the use of an inactive_clean list anyway, or the effective
    > difference between its members and the members of memfree (I suspect
    > such a list from the output of /proc/meminfo)?

    Pages on the inactive_clean list contain data. Throwing
    away data when you can keep it in memory isn't the smartest
    thing.

    > Besides the fact, that the splitting in two lists prevents proper
    > defragmentation

    Patches to fix this thing while still allowing us to keep
    the data in memory for most pages are appreciated. Patches
    to the universe to give me more than 24 hours a day, too ;)

    cheers,

    Rik
    --
    IA64: a worthy successor to i860.