    SubjectRe: notion of a local address [was: Re: ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK: ip alias
    Alan Cox:
    > > If the kernel knows about subnets, then an application should be
    > > able to find out about them. Whether or not you agree with the
    > > application's reasons does not matter.
    >
    > There I agree - entirely. I'd also say that an application using legacy
    > 4.3BSD API's ought to get correct answers for configurations which are
    > validly expressed in that specific worldview

    Putting on a different hat, that of forensics and auditing, I would
    claim that such functionality is useful for every API. If something
    can be set, then there must be a corresponding way to find out.

    For settings created with *netlink, it is entirely reasonable to
    use the *netlink API to query its state. It's just a pain in the
    butt for people like me to find out and advise users.

    Wietse

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.026 / U:30.276 seconds]