    SubjectRe: page_launder() on 2.4.9/10 issue

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Jan Harkes wrote:

    > On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:27:50PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > I've been working on a CPU and memory efficient reverse
    > > mapping patch for Linux, one which will allow us to do
    > > a bunch of optimisations for later on (infrastructure)
    > > and has as its short-term benefit the potential for
    > > better page aging.
    > Yes, I can see that using reverse mappings would be a way of correcting
    > the aging if you call page_age_up from try_to_swap_out, in which case
    > there probably needs to be a page_age_down on virtual mappings as well
    > to correctly balance things.
    > > It seems the balancing FreeBSD does (up aging +3, down
    > > aging -1, inactive list in LRU order as extra stage) is
    > One other observation, we should add anonymously allocated memory to the
    > active-list as soon as they are allocated in do_nopage. At the moment a
    > large part of memory is not aged at all until we start swapping things
    > out.

    With reverse mappings we can completly remove the "swap_out()" loop logic
    and age pte's at refill_inactive_scan().

    All that with anon memory added to the active-list as soon as allocated,
    of course.

    Jan, I suggest you to take a look at the reverse mapping code.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.023 / U:0.904 seconds]