SubjectRe: Editing-in-place of a large file
On September 3, 2001 12:48 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> > That is reimplementing file system functionality in user space.
> > I'm in doubts that this is considered good design...
> Keeping things out of the kernel is good design. Your block indirections
> are no different to other database formats. Perhaps you think we should
> have fsql_operation() and libdb in kernel 8)

For that matter, he could use a database file. I don't know if Postgres (for
example) supports streaming read/write from a database record, but if it
doesn't it could be made to.

Or if he doesn't want to hack Postgres today, he can put his "metadata" in a
database file and the video data in a separate file.