    SubjectRe: Editing-in-place of a large file
    On September 3, 2001 12:48 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > That is reimplementing file system functionality in user space.
    > > I'm in doubts that this is considered good design...
    > Keeping things out of the kernel is good design. Your block indirections
    > are no different to other database formats. Perhaps you think we should
    > have fsql_operation() and libdb in kernel 8)

    For that matter, he could use a database file. I don't know if Postgres (for
    example) supports streaming read/write from a database record, but if it
    doesn't it could be made to.

    Or if he doesn't want to hack Postgres today, he can put his "metadata" in a
    database file and the video data in a separate file.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.024 / U:0.036 seconds]