SubjectRe: [bug report] NFS and uninterruptable wait states
Phillip Susi wrote:

[ "mount -tnfs" with hard has default ]

> Anyhow, about an hour later ( the mount process still stuck ) I figured out
> that the other machine was not running rpc.nfsd, though it was running
> rpc.mountd. Once I started rpc.nfsd on the machine, the mount on my box
> finally returned ( and was terminated by the SIGKILL that I sent it an hour
> before ).
>
> Could someone confirm that this is a bug, and explain why anything should
> ever need to wait in that state?

Well, if you use the option "soft",then your process is interruptible.
>From a user standpoint, I don't understand the requirement of 'D' state.

Where this gets really impractical: commands like df or du will
hang forever (if the other end is out of your control).

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans