    SubjectRe: RFC (patch below) Re: ide drive problem?
    > This is an error that I am considering removing form the user's view.
    > For the very fact/reason you are pointing out; however, it becomse
    > more painful when performing error sorting.

    yes, most of the time, the warning scares people unnecessarily.
    but if the machine is seeing lots of CRC failures, there should
    definitely be some prominent messages. perhaps something simple
    like producing a warning if more than a few of recent IOs
    have had CRC problems:

    int crcState = 0;

    on successful IO:
    crcState >>= 1;

    on CRC failure:
    if (crcState)
    printk("dang, CRC failed on hda, see http://whatever");
    crcState = 1 << 10;

    so if >10 IOs succeed between CRC failures, there's no warning.
    (uh, I guess that would actually be 9, since presumably the retry
    would succeed...) keeping a global count of CRC failures would be
    kind of nice, too.

    regards, mark hahn.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.041 / U:61.464 seconds]