    SubjectRe: Makefile gcc -o /dev/null: the dissapearing of /dev/null
    On Sat, 2001-09-29 06:10:52 -0700, Jim Treadway <jim@stardot-tech.com>
    wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.33.0109290535390.25966-100000@cerberus.stardot-tech.com>:
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 2001-09-29 09:55:35 +0200, proton <proton@energymech.net>
    > > wrote in message <3BB57E77.4CDFF5D0@energymech.net>:
    > >
    > > > Ofcourse, you cant unlink /dev/null unless you are root.
    > >
    > > That's right and fine so far.
    > >
    > > > In any case, the `gcc -o /dev/null' test cases probably
    > > > need to go away.
    > >
    > > No. Why? Well, the Linux kernel compiles just fine while
    > > being an ordianary user. You don't have to be root to
    > > compile it. As it's just bad to do usual *work* as root,
    > > you're the bug.
    >
    > So then you can no longer 'make modules && make modules_install', or you
    > have to cp or chown /usr/src/linux on a fresh install to compile your
    > kernel? Doesn't sound pleasant to me.

    You may do it this way:

    make dep clean bzImage modules && su -c "make modules_install"

    This is so far the minimal version for building as non-root user.

    > I think the "trick" is to redirect stdout and stderr to /dev/null as well,
    > so that /dev/null doesn't get removed from the file system since it is
    > held open by the shell.
    >
    > Something like:
    >
    > gcc -o /dev/null -xc /dev/null /dev/null 2>&1

    No-go. It's perfectly okay to remove an opened file. Test it yourself.
    You may even replace a running (!) executable...

    > Perhaps someone just forgot the I/O redirection in one of the tests?

    No. It would be of no effect:-)

    > However, I just compiled (but did not install) 2.4.10, as root, and my
    > /dev/null still exists...

    Fine:-) That's the way to go!

    MfG, JBG

    --