    SubjectRe: Locking comment on shrink_caches()

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, David S. Miller wrote:

    > I'm very curious as to what workloads are showing pagecache_lock as
    > a bottleneck. We haven't noticed this particular bottleneck in most
    > of the workloads we are running. Is there a good workload that shows
    > this type of load?
    >
    > Again, I defer to Ingo for specifics, but essentially something
    > like specweb99 where the whole dataset fits in memory.

    it was SPECweb99 tests done in 32 GB RAM, 8 CPUs, where the pagecache was
    nearly 30 GB big. We saw visible pagecache_lock contention on such
    systems. Due to TUX's use of zerocopy, page lookups happen at a much
    larger frequency and they are not intermixed with memory copies - in
    contrast with workloads like dbench.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.024 / U:125.216 seconds]