    SubjectRe: Binary only module overview
    On 24 Sep 01 at 12:24, Dave McCracken wrote:
    > >> IIRC, vmware includes one or more kernel modules.
    > >>
    > >> Rasmus
    > >>
    > > Yes, but the modules are not binary-only.
    > > The sourcecode is in the package, although it is not GPL.
    >
    > I believe they only provide source for an interface layer that can be
    > compiled against a specific version of the kernel. I think the core
    > drivers are binary only.

    VMnet and VMppuser drivers are completely standalone and can work
    without VMware. You can persuade VMmon module to load and execute
    arbitrary code on kernel level - it just provides virtual machine
    environment (switches CPU context), but as it even does not link to
    anything else, I do not see any problem here. DRI drivers also allows
    you to smash arbitrary piece of memory...

    As for license on these modules - I was under impression that they are
    under GPL, but I'll ask VMware for clarification.
    Best regards,
    Petr Vandrovec
    vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.022 / U:32.240 seconds]