    SubjectRe: spurious interrupt with ac kernel but not with vanilla 2.4.9

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > I noticed that on the abit kt7A MBs that i have, with via KT133A chipset,
    > > after i installed the kernel 2.4.9-ac10 (ac11 and 12 as well),
    > > at boot i get this message,
    > >
    > > Sep 21 11:52:11 DarkStar kernel: ice 00:0b.0
    > > Sep 21 11:52:11 DarkStar kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
    > > immediatelly before scsi adaptec detection and inizzializzation.
    >
    > Thats indicating an IRQ appeared and vanished. IRQ 7 is the IRQ that happens
    > to occur for this.
    >
    > > I was thinking to an HW problem, but with vanilla 2.4.9 kernel I do not
    > > get this message, and the code in arch/i386/kernel/i8259.c that should
    > > detect this spurious interrup is just the same on those two kernels.
    > > Changes are related to X86_IO_APIC, and I think this is the reason why
    > > this spurious interrupt is detected, but I would like to know if i should
    > > think I have some HW problem going on that stardard kernels do not detect.
    >
    > The APIC only applies to multiprocessor boxes unless you are building with
    > uniprocessor apic support. Build a non SMP kernel without apic support
    > and let me know what that does

    yes, i was using a non SMP kernel with both apic and io_apic support
    enabled.

    actally:

    with APIC support
    and
    without IO_APIC support

    I do not get this message again, but I am so sorry, because my processor
    has integrated APIC support.

    I just made another test on a dual Athlon 1200 Mhz per CPU on an MB with
    AMD chipset, and here this problem does not appear.

    Thanx

    Luigi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.056 / U:0.152 seconds]