    SubjectRequest: removal of fs/fs.h/super_block.u to enable partition locking

    So I can write and distribute a GPL'd 'inuse' filesystem module
    that essentially registers a partition as in-use.

    I am writing an application that uses raw I/O and I need
    some way of locking a partition. The only
    way I know of (sortof) doing this is by registering a filesystem
    for the partition so system utilities won't overwrite the partition
    because they will see it is busy by examining /proc/partitions.

    on /dev/hda1 doesn't stop root from mounting the partition
    as a swap partition or accidentally formatting it
    even though the root partition was mounted with 'mand' to
    enable mandatory locking and a 'chmod 2660 /dev/hda1' was done
    to enable mandatory locking on the file.

    I'm trying to look out for tired sys-admins who might
    destroy my application's partition not knowing
    what a particular empty-looking partition is used for.

    Do You Yahoo!?

    Get your free address at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.022 / U:16.652 seconds]