SubjectRe: Locked up 2.4.10-pre11 on Tyan 815t motherboard.
Alan Cox wrote:

> > Doubtful. Since it's an 815, I presume you're running a PIII (correct me if
> > I'm wrong) - newish PIIIs have reasonable overheating cutout features, and
> > if overheating had damaged the CPU, I'd be very surprised if it worked at
> > all, rather than just locking up on certain sizes of network packets.
>
> The 815 chipsets have known (and documented) problems with out of spec
> memory signals. Board vendors are supposed to have used workarounds but I
> have so far sent back 2 out of the 3 A/Open i815 boards with problems where
> they locked up occasionally under high load (in any OS) and also failed
> memtest86 (with known good tested ram) when placed in an electrically noisy
> environment.
>
> I've seen lockups on high network load as part of that - but not packet size
> dependant ones.

Damn..someone has to make good stable motherboards...anyone got any
suggestions for one that will fit into a 1U server, with built-in
Video and preferably a NIC? I had ok luck with an Intel board based
on the 815 chipset, so long as I used the e100 driver...maybe I'll
have to go back to it...

Thanks,
Ben

--