    SubjectRe: [patch] multipath RAID personality, 2.4.10-pre9
    On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:39:46PM +0100, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
    > Do you have plans to change this? I know that the SDD software for AIX load
    > balances between paths (and I think EMC's Powerpaths do for AIX too), DMP
    > (from Veritas) for Solaris doesn't.
    > In fact that brings up another point - which path do you use by default? If
    > you have the SAN situation where you have a farm of servers each with two FC
    > cards two two FC switches and then to two ports on a storage array, you
    > don't want everything going to the first switch. Just picking one path to
    > use at random would be preferable (unless you want to swap every other
    > servers cables around).

    I think the multipath driver would benefit from something like the
    different modes in the new network bonding driver:
    * round robin
    * active backup policy
    * XOR

    (Not sure if XOR would be needed for md?)

    I think some other ideas can be stolen from the bonding driver as well,
    as the problem is very simular - e.g. the concept of low level drivers
    (optionally) delivering status information, so md don't have to try and
    fail to detect a link is down, and the timeout settings.

    Ragnar Kjørstad
    Big Storage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.022 / U:26.700 seconds]