SubjectRe: linux-2.4.10-pre5
From
> I see two possible atime uses:
>
> 1. Cleaning up /tmp (mtime is *not* a good indicator that a file is no
> longer used)
> 2. Swapping out files to slower storage
>
> Essentially, both use the "do we still need this thing" aspect.

The Debian 'popularity-contest' package has an interesting use for
atime. It runs weekly (if you install it, of course -- nobody *has* to
do this!) and determines when each of your installed packages was last
referenced -- then mails this anonymously to a drop box somewhere. The
Higher Purpose here is to determine what the "most useful" Debian
packages are. These go on the first volume of the Debian CD set, to
make a one-volume Debian CD as useful as possible.

The Windows 2000 install subsystem seems to collect similar data.
Heaven only knows whether *that* data ever makes it back to its
owners....

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:03    [W:0.477 / U:0.496 seconds]