    SubjectRe: is bzImage container large enough?

    Keith Owens wrote:

    > On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:28:06 +0000 (UTC),
    > Samium Gromoff <> wrote:
    > > If one wanting to turn on virtually every kernel CONFIG_* option
    > > in order to check if the kernel compiles and then report possible
    > > gcc errors to lkml, will the resulting kernel fit the bzImage format?
    > No, it is far too big.

    We just "fixed" this sort of problem for ppc64 the other day. Course we
    don't use bzImages but rather zImages but none the less it was still
    anoying since we can boot zImages over the network and
    of course that makes it quite reasonable to blow past the 1.44
    floppy limitation. The bug we fixed was that an uncompressed
    kernel could only be up to 4 meg in size, if it was larger, at
    uncompression time you'd just lose everything past the 4M mark.
    Todd Inglett raised the limit to 8 meg for us, and that's a mighty
    large penguin....

    Tom Gall - PPC64 Code Monkey "Where's the ka-boom? There was
    Linux Technology Center supposed to be an earth
    (w) shattering ka-boom!"
    (w) 507-253-4558 -- Marvin Martian

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.023 / U:7.804 seconds]