    Today, Dan Hollis wrote:
    > but where would the finger start pointing then?

    hmm... *compiler optimizations* for a specific family cause
    problems on that family, but *compiler optimizations* for
    a lesser family don't... I'll admit my kernel h4x0|^ 5k1!!s
    aren't on par with most on this list, but has anyone thought
    to take a look at the *compiler optimizations* that are
    generated? It sure wouldn't be a first if the combination
    of agressive optimizations and complex kernel code exposed
    a subtle and/or complex bug in one, the other, or both...
    and different levels of compiler might explain why some
    have the problems, and others don't.

    Having spent way too many hours this week looking at highly
    optimized 64bit ppc assembly I can only say that <drawl
    type=hick> them thar compiler hackors is devious lil
    twerps when yas ask fer all the bells n wistles. </drawl>

    This of course is all assuming that one or more folks do
    recreate it on obviously good hardware. ;)

    now the forces of openness have a powerful and
    unexpected new ally -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.020 / U:21.356 seconds]