    SubjectRe: lilo vs other OS bootloaders was: FreeBSD makes progress
    > So of course I realize this wouldn't happen any time soon, but has any
    > discussion taken place regarding enhancing the bootloader (grub? Steal
    > FreeBSD's?) to load modular drivers very early, and possibly abstracting
    > SMP/UP from the kernel proper? Wouldn't this be a better solution than
    > initrd?

    All the discussion we have has been based on seriously enhancing and
    expanding the use of the initrd/ramfs layer. Remember we can begin running
    from ramfs without interrupts, pci bus scans or the like. The things it cant
    do are - pick a kernel by processor type, pick SMP/non SMP.

    As it happens both of those are things that are deeply buried in the whole
    compile choices and how we generate the code itself - so they do need to
    be boot loader driven (or user driven)

    So the path for ACPI could indeed go

    load kernel
    load initial ramfs
    Discover we have ACPI
    load acpi core
    load acpi irq router
    load acpi timers
    [init hardware]
    load ide disk
    load ext3
    mount /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.034 / U:15.228 seconds]