    SubjectRe: [IDEA+RFC] Possible solution for min()/max() war
    On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:16:47PM +0000, Graham Murray wrote:
    > Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net> writes:
    >
    > > More than anything, it shows that education is needed, not macro patch-ups.
    > > We have exactly the same issues with < and >, should we introduce
    > > three-argument macros to replace them?
    >
    > Would it not have been much more "obvious" if the rules for
    > unsigned/signed integer comparisons (irrespective of the widths
    > involved) were
    >
    > 1) If the signed element is negative then it is always less than the
    > unsigned element.
    >
    > 2) If the unsigned element is greater than then maximum positive value
    > expressible by the signed one then it is always greater.
    >
    > 3) Only if both values are positive and within the range of the
    > smaller element are the actual values compared.

    Possibly, but changing the C specification is not really an option here...

    /David Weinehall
    _ _
    // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.023 / U:30.760 seconds]