    SubjectRe: [patch] serial.c ALI/SMSC/VIA high speed support
    On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 02:54:42PM +0200, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
    > I was a bit surprised when I learned that _many_ motherboards
    > support high speed (usually max 460800 bps) serial ports, but
    > this fact is not advertised in any motherboard manuals!

    This patch hard codes magic divisor values for a specific motherboard
    into the serial driver. The fact that the motherboard is using magic
    divisor values is in incredible bad taste (unlike the motherboards
    that simply use a faster clock frequency and so simply require
    different base baud value), but the fact that the patch uncoditionally
    recognizes these magic values and changes the behaviour for all UART's
    unconditionally (not just for the motherbards that use this completely
    broken design) is in very bad taste....

    If you're going to do something like this, then it must be conditional
    on a UART type that indicates that this is a broken UART that is
    playing wierd shit divisor games. Please don't do this
    unconditionally, since then when the next broken motherboard design
    uses another set of magic divisor numbers (which possibly might
    overlap with VIA's broken magic divisor numbers), the result will be a
    gigantic mess.....

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:01    [W:0.023 / U:14.076 seconds]