    SubjectRe: 2.4.9-ac1 RAID-5 resync causes PPP connection to be unusable
    Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

    > I ran into a very strange problem yesterday... my server here, which is a
    > 700 MHz Celeron, 256MiB RAM, four ~40G disks has two RAID-5 arrays (using
    > the standard kernel MD driver) configured across those four drives. For some
    > reason definitely related to operator error, the machine crashed and needed
    > to resync the arrays after being rebooted.
    >
    > Eveything was working fine, interactive response was just fine even though
    > the drives were just cranking away doing their resync. I then brought up my
    > PPP Internet connection, which came up just fine. However, I was _not_ able
    > to actually communicate with any 'Net hosts.

    [ snip ]

    > I can probably reproduce this pretty easily, if anyone is interested and can
    > give me some idea where to look for the cause...

    Don't bother. The problem is that your disks are IDE disks and you
    don't have IRQ unmasking enabled on some/all of them. As long as that's
    the case, heavy disk activity (whether it's a RAID5 resync or a bonnie
    run or untar'ing a kernel archive) will always cause your PPP connection
    to quit working due to dropped serial data and therefore corrupted PPP
    packets.

    --

    Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
    Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before