SubjectRe: VCool - cool your Athlon/Duron during idle
Alan Cox wrote:

> > handle a too-hot cpu, but all C2/C3 gets you is reduced power when =
> > idle.
> > This results in better battery life on a laptop but that is irrelevant =
> > on a
> > desktop system.
>
> Thus speaks the country with chronic californian power shortages, and that
> wouldn't sign up to a global accord on global warming 8)

In reality, California has no power shortage. The problem is deregulation and greed together causing an artificial power shortage. Tell those of us in San Diego
that we're using too much power and there's a shortage. We started conserving a year before the "shortage" - an average of 20% in fact - and we still had
blackouts and higher rates and were told to cut back even more or pay even more. But, this thread digresses.

> C2 and C3 are useful IMHO even on a desktop PC. The slight hit on the
> transition is not noticable, the change on the power bill is.

At our rates, you're darn right it is. An average PC costs ~$.05 per hour to run in California.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer