    SubjectRe: Updated Linux kernel preemption patches
    On Sun, 2001-08-26 at 23:06, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > Congratulations on showing evidence that preemption can improve performance
    > under some loads, especially the all-important kernel compile. Don't be too
    > worried about the dbench 1 results, dbench can vary by a factor of 2
    > depending on the alignment of the planets (ask Tridge). Try something more
    > stable like bonnie.

    I would be happy to run some other tests. I was happy to see the kernel
    compile prove faster, and I fully expected the dbench 16 results to show
    an improvement. But, while I assumed dbench 1 may show a degradation in
    performance, I was surprised it was so high.

    My main goal in updating Nigel's patches to recent kernels was to
    accomplish just this: get some more data points, some more benchmarks,
    and more eyes on the code and systems running the patch.

    I am not an audio guy or otherwise in need of a lower-latency system,
    but the possibility for an overall improvement in the kernel (even at
    the expense of some cases) is worthwhile, to me.

    > The theory goes that preemption improves performance by cutting down the time
    > between IO completion and user task resume, with only a small cost in extra
    > locking. It would be nice to see profiling statistics to support this idea.

    Anyone running the patch want to profile some situations and reach some
    conclusions?

    --
    Robert M. Love
    rml at ufl.edu
    rml at tech9.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.032 / U:0.240 seconds]