    SubjectRe: yenta_socket hangs sager laptop in kernel 2.4.6-> PNPBIOS life saver
    kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > > So we have another way besides several INTs to detect the avail mem :-)
    >
    > Well, if this memory is available then I guess port 0x1000 is "available"
    > as well and all the rest of ports are not available. :-)

    Read "available" as "onboard".
    Before you use onboard resources you should know what it is !
    Surely you don't want to place a PCI ioport window over unknown ports
    (as this is what yenta did).

    > No, something is rotted in this kingdom.
    >
    > > Probably PNP0C02 wants to be reserved, too.
    >
    > What's about these, they are nice port and could be used by our irq handler.

    These ports are not nice here and should not be user by the irq handler:
    PNP0c02 Motherboard resources
    io 0x0290-0x0297

    > According to docs they replace functionality missing in standard
    > int. controller ports for this chipset.

    What docs ?

    > What's about passing parameters from bios setup to linux...

    The BIOS setup uses PNPBIOS to pass parameters to Linux :-)

    > This is amusing, but not more. I am sorry, I still prefer to use usual
    > kernel command line instead of some ugly foreign interface.

    You miss the point of PNP and user-friendliness.

    This is a necessary interface to prevent (nearly undebuggable) linux hard hangs !

    However, Gerd's debugging forces and his new patch already solve this thread
    by giving a working solution.

    -
    Gunther

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.050 / U:1.988 seconds]