    SubjectRe: What version of the kernel fixes these VM issues?
    Date
    On August 25, 2001 05:00 am, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
    > This board has 32MB RAM, no swap. Root fs is NFS. On the serial console I
    > start a command line mp3 player. In a first telnet session I start a build
    > of gcc 3.0 (./configure; make). In a second telnet session I start 'top'.
    > Music plays while gcc builds and I can see the CPU usage within top.
    > Pretty real scenario, real life situation, expected system load, no trick.

    You're streaming the mp3 over nfs, right? From your setup I'd guess there's
    no local hard disk.

    > nfs: task 41867 can't get a request slot
    > nfs: task 41868 can't get a request slot
    > nfs: task 41869 can't get a request slot

    Uhuh. Would you please look in your logs for "allocation failed" messages?
    (Side note: reading the nfs code now... to whose eyes are names like tk_rqstp
    beautiful?)

    > ( Active: 2007, inactive_dirty: 0, inactive_clean: 0, free: 253 (255 510
    765) )

    Whoops, nothing inactive but kswap going full blast. We're getting warmer.

    > 2.4.9 kernel:
    > =============
    >
    > Unlike the first (quoted) run, this kernel completely stalled when the jam
    > conditions were reached just like the run described above. I mean here
    > there is no audio stuttering at all, no echo from telnet sessions, nothing
    > in user space gets to run anymore.

    Yes, a slight difference, however they are both wedged in the same way, from
    your task samples:

    > PC value System.map
    > -------- ----------
    > c003f6e0 zone_inactive_plenty
    > c003fa58 swap_out_pmd
    > c0060324 prune_icache
    > c003f6fc zone_inactive_plenty
    > c003faac swap_out_pmd
    > c00209a0 cpu_sa1100_set_pte
    > c003fc80 swap_out_mm
    > c0040c10 refill_inactive_scan
    > c00206c0 cpu_sa1100_cache_clean_invalidate_range
    > c003fa90 swap_out_pmd

    > Kernel interrupts and BHs still work i.e. I can ping the box, the serial
    > console still echoes characters (kernel termios), and sysrq works but that's
    > all. What's also interesting here is the fact that there is absolutely no
    > NFS traffic going on.

    That's understandable. Everything that needs to allocate memory is wedged.

    > - The same behavior occurs with 2.4.8-ac4.

    How far back do you have to go before you get one that works? I seem to
    recall the inactive_plenty changes came in at 2.4.8-pre1. Could you try it
    with 2.4.7, please.

    --
    Daniel