SubjectRe: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)
On Friday 24 August 2001 02:41, Tom Rini wrote:
> You've said this before. :) Just how small of an 'embedded' system are
> you talking about? I know of people who do compile a kernel now and
> again on a 'small' system, for fun. On a larger (cPCI) system, I
> don't see your point. If you can somehow transport the 21mb[1] bzip2
> kernel source to your system, you can transport python. If you're
> porting to a brand new arch, there's still good tests before you
> have shlib support (You've mentioned that before too I think).

There is another point why having Python installed is a problem. Usually when
you install a server you remove everything from it because of space, and
security reasons. The main security concern is the less is installed the
better security is. I always remove python from any servers I have. As I
remove guile, forth, and other useless (in terms of server) languages. Now
you tell me that I should have this bloat installed just to configure my
kernel. Do not you think that it is too much? Current kernel does not require
anything like this.

Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

FidoNet: 2:5000/120.5