    SubjectRe: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)
    Date
    On Friday 24 August 2001 02:41, Tom Rini wrote:
    > You've said this before. :) Just how small of an 'embedded' system are
    > you talking about? I know of people who do compile a kernel now and
    > again on a 'small' system, for fun. On a larger (cPCI) system, I
    > don't see your point. If you can somehow transport the 21mb[1] bzip2
    > kernel source to your system, you can transport python. If you're
    > porting to a brand new arch, there's still good tests before you
    > have shlib support (You've mentioned that before too I think).

    There is another point why having Python installed is a problem. Usually when
    you install a server you remove everything from it because of space, and
    security reasons. The main security concern is the less is installed the
    better security is. I always remove python from any servers I have. As I
    remove guile, forth, and other useless (in terms of server) languages. Now
    you tell me that I should have this bloat installed just to configure my
    kernel. Do not you think that it is too much? Current kernel does not require
    anything like this.

    --
    Sincerely Yours,
    Denis Perchine