    SubjectRe: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)

    Tom> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:02:07PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
    >> I am actually much more concerned about bringing up new systems
    >> than embedded however it is not uncommon to have very limited space
    >> to work in (like 64MB).

    Tom> 64mb of space for 'disk' ? You aren't compiling the kernel
    Tom> anyhow without some serious mucking around.

    You may keep your binaries in flash on system like that.

    >> My point is that the transport process of the kernel image is
    >> painful. Some of the embedded devices or new systems being brought
    >> up may only have serial some do not have network or floppy. This
    >> makes it *very* painful to move things around because you have to
    >> physically move your disk or similar.

    Tom> And you think that trying to transport the kernel srcs + userland
    Tom> will save you time in the long run? If you have to physically
    Tom> move your disk to initially put userland on, you can put on
    Tom> python too. Or go and run the 'freeze' schitt on it and have the
    Tom> C version. What kind of 'new' systems are you talking about?
    Tom> I'm biased I guess since I'm used to working on documented
    Tom> hardware. So documents + time + good hw debugger tend to help
    Tom> things along.

    What I am saying is that I do *not* want to transport source
    etc. every time I want to make a kernel change. And no I *cannot* just
    put Python on it if I a) don't have the space or b) haven't brought up
    Python on the system yet.

    I am not speaking of any new systems I am working on right now, I am
    speaking from my experience bringing up systems such as the m68k and
    ia64.

    Tom> Because with the exception of your unique situation in which you
    Tom> have a machine which is stable enough to compile a kernel on and
    Tom> develop but can't run python, it's not a problem.

    As I have pointed out, it *is* indeed a problem to kernel developers
    who are actually working on bringing up systems. Most of the people
    who argue in favor of the Python dependency have never tried bringing
    up a system.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.029 / U:59.032 seconds]