    From: Alan Cox [mailto:alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
    Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 11:14 AM
    To: hiren_mehta@agilent.com
    Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: Re: releasing driver to kernel in source+binary format

    > HBAs and make it part of the kernel source tree. Because of IP
    > related issues, we can only release one part of the sources with
    > GPL. We want to release the other part in the binary format (.o)
    > as a library which needs to be linked with the first part.
    > If somebody can advise me on how to go about this, I would
    > appreciate it.

    Very simple. You can't link GPL and proprietary code together. You may be
    able to make your code a non free module distributed by yourselves if you
    can satisfy your lawyers that it is a seperate work. Take that one up with
    your lawyers. Also remember that the kernel code is GPL, so if you based
    your driver on existing GPL code (eg by copying an existing scsi drivers
    code as a basis) you will also have to sort that issue out too.

    > I went through the "SubmittingDrivers" file
    > which does not talk about this kind of special cases.

    Thats becase Linux is free software. We don't merge binary only drivers, and
    only maintain source level compatibility between different compiles of the
    kernel.

    The whole Linux concept is geared around free software, that means source
    code, source level compatibility, the ability for people to recompile and
    for sane debugging because we have all the sources.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:58    [W:0.022 / U:58.500 seconds]