SubjectRe: 2.4.8/2.4.9 VM problems
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > What made you think of trying the higher activation threshold? ;-)
>
> Well :)) there I sat daydreaming, imagining myself as a bonnie page
> running around queues, got dizzy and finally just changed the little
> spot that kept attracting my eyeballs.. a hunch.

And a good hunch. There is NO fundamental difference between
used-once vs. used-twice or used-twice vs. used-thrice. It's
one big gray area of pages further or closer to eviction.

The solution to making a system which is resistant to scanning,
yet allows the streaming IO to evict the least used part of the
currently active pages (to replace old data) is to use a better
page aging tactic.

If you don't believe me, try streaming IO on Linux 2.0 for a
try, or grab my patch to introduce tunable page aging on
2.4.8-ac7+ and try it. ;)

regards,

Rik
--