    SubjectRe: 2.4.8/2.4.9 VM problems
    On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > > What made you think of trying the higher activation threshold? ;-)
    > Well :)) there I sat daydreaming, imagining myself as a bonnie page
    > running around queues, got dizzy and finally just changed the little
    > spot that kept attracting my eyeballs.. a hunch.

    And a good hunch. There is NO fundamental difference between
    used-once vs. used-twice or used-twice vs. used-thrice. It's
    one big gray area of pages further or closer to eviction.

    The solution to making a system which is resistant to scanning,
    yet allows the streaming IO to evict the least used part of the
    currently active pages (to replace old data) is to use a better
    page aging tactic.

    If you don't believe me, try streaming IO on Linux 2.0 for a
    try, or grab my patch to introduce tunable page aging on
    2.4.8-ac7+ and try it. ;)

    IA64: a worthy successor to i860.

    Send all your spam to (spam digging piggy)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.034 / U:4.664 seconds]