SubjectRe: 2.4.8/2.4.9 VM problems
Date
On August 20, 2001 10:16 pm, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > I looked at it yesterday. The problem is, it loses the information about *how*
> > > a page is used: pagecache lookup via readahead has different implications than
> > > actual usage.
>
> And ah, I forgot something here.
>
> Your statement which says "pagecache lookup via readahead has different
> implications than actual usage" is not really correct.
>
> If you only consider "hot" pages as "pages which have been touched",
> you're going to (potentially) fuck heavy streaming IO workloads.

"Hot" pages are pages that have been touched more than once. The idea of
use-once (on the read side) is to retain the readahead pages just long enough
to use them, and not a lot longer. If you've seen streaming IO pages getting
evicted before being used, I'd like to know about it because something is
broken in that case.

--
Daniel