SubjectRe: 2.4.8/2.4.9 VM problems
Date
On August 21, 2001 12:05 am, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > > I've seen the first page read by "swapin_readahead()" (which is the
> > > actual
> > > page we want to swapin) be evicted _before_ we could actually use it (so
> > > the read_swap_cache_async() call had to read the same page _again_ from
> > > disk).
> >
> > is that even with yesterday's SetPageReferenced patch to do_swap_page?
>
> No. It will not help: the call to read_swap_cache_async() is before the
> SetPageReferenced call.

Sure it will. The readahead page will have to go all the way from one end of
the inactive_dirty list to the other, then all the way down the
inactive_clean list. That should be plenty of time for the SetPageReferenced
to catch it. The main possibility to screw up is if we scan the inactive
lists too fast, which probably happens sometimes because it's all grossly
uncalibrated right now.

That's another issue, it needs fixing. We'll never have really consistent,
predictable aging or any other vm behaviour until the list scanning is
operating in a rock-solid way.

As long as it isn't happening frequently we will be ok for now.

--
Daniel