    SubjectRe: ext2 not NULLing deleted files?
    On Aug 17, 2001  12:55 -0500, Mark H. Wood wrote:
    > Regarding the need to do more than just zero unwanted data, I note that
    > there is a U.S. DOD MIL-SPEC (no, I do not know the number) which defines
    > a sequence of patterns to be used for erasing magnetic media.

    In the Usenix paper quoted earlier in this thread (I believe) it was
    stated that the MIL-SPEC document was actually bogus. REAL secure
    deletion requirements were much more strict (something like 15 passes of
    various random and non-random patterns vs. 7 passes of alternating all 0
    and all 1 data), but the US government made it think that the MIL-SPEC
    requirements were enough, so that naive users would follow it, still
    leaving enough trace data on the disk for the government to retrieve it.

    Still, even a single pass of zero writes is enough to prevent 99.9%
    of attackers from getting the data back.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.023 / U:73.912 seconds]