    SubjectRe: Via chipset
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Someone should be able to forward failure cases to some AMD contacts. A
    > > day or so with a bus analyzer should pin things down, AMD certainly has
    > > the hardware to check this.
    > It doesnt happen with AMD chipsets. Although if anyone from AMD is
    > interested I'd be happy to know
    > Alan

    I have a MSI-6195 slot-A , AMD chipset with a visiontek nvidia vanta 32mb agp
    card, RH 7.1 installed. I have experienced complete system lockups with random
    uptimes < 1 day to 4 days, no mouse, keyboard, VCs, can't even telnet in or
    ping. I finally made the connection it was happening when I was away from the
    box and not using it interactively, which lead me to xscreensaver and sure
    enough after I disabled it, no more lockups, up 30 days now. But I haven't
    figured what in xscreensaver is doing this, don't know if it might be kernel
    related or not, probably not. I suspect xscreensaver is triggering something in
    the xserver that is not normally getting hit in normal use.

    Bob Martin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.022 / U:20.300 seconds]