    I'm talking about _modern_ processors, not processors that dominate the
    modern age. This isn't x86. I don't believe that even aggressive
    re-ordering will cause a serious hit in performance on function calls.
    Unconditional branches are definitely predictable so icache pre-fetches are
    not more complicated that straight-line code.

    Measurement is more important, though. I've rejected a number of
    optimizations from people (including many of my own) that were "obvious
    enhancements" because of what they showed in real-world measurements. If
    it doesn't run faster, despite the theory being "right", it's worthless.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:0.020 / U:0.028 seconds]