    Because it's messy and unnecessary. Break this into asmlinkbuild,
    asmlink.c, asmlink.h and asmlink.S, chmod +x asmlinkbuild, run it, and
    behold a 6.

    # asmlinkbuild

    gcc -c asmlink.S
    gcc -o asmlinked asmlink.c asmlink.o

    cat asmlinkbuild asmlink.S asmlink.c >

    /* ***************************************************

    int bla (int ha, int hahaha, int uh) ;

    That does...

    push uh
    push hahaha
    push ha

    .globl bla
    add 4(%esp), %eax
    add 8(%esp), %eax
    add 12(%esp), %eax

    /* ******************************************** asmlink.c */
    #include "asmlink.h"

    int main () {
    printf("%d\n", bla(1, 2 , 3 ) ) ;

    That's with the GNU tools, without asm(), and without proper declaration
    of printf, as is my tendency. I don't actually return an int either, do I?

    In other words, if you know the push sequence of your C compiler's
    function calls, you don't need asm("");. x86 Gcc is "push last declared
    first, return in EAX". Plan 9 guys, not surprisingly, seem to prefer to
    keep C as C, and asm as asm. I encountered this while trying to build
    Linux 1.2.13 with current GNU tools. It breaks on changes in GNU C
    asm()'s. Rather a silly thing to break on, eh?

    I don't think this is much less clear than the : "=r" $0; stuff, if at
    all. This thing didn't take as long to code as it did to construct this
    post. Perhaps the C-labels-in-asms optimizes better. I doubt if it's by
    much, or if it's worth it.

    Oops. I didn't include asmlink.h in the above, except as a comment
    in asmlink.S. Here it is by itself...

    /* ********************************************asmlink.h*/
    int bla (int ha, int hahaha, int uh) ;

    Another easy win from Plan 9 that's related to this but that is not in
    evidence here is that this thing on Plan 9 could build asmlinkbuild for
    itself on the fly based on #pragma's in the headers that simply state what
    library they are the header for. This to me is so obviously an improvement
    to the usual state of affairs, an ornate system of dead-ends, as to be
    depressing. The guys that wrote UNIX don't do such things to themselves

    Rick Hohensee
    :; cLIeNUX /dev/tty11 11:00:14 /
    ABOUT LGPL boot device log subroutine
    ABOUT.Linux Linux command floppy mounts suite
    GPL README configure guest owner temp
    H3nix RIGHTS dev help source
    :; cLIeNUX /dev/tty11 22:44:25 /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:56    [W:0.026 / U:1.972 seconds]