    SubjectRe: NFS Client patch
    Andi Kleen wrote:

    > Craig Soules <soules@happyplace.pdl.cmu.edu> writes:
    >
    > > Our system does automatic directory compaction through the use of a tree
    > > structure, and so the cookie needs to be invalidated. Also, any other
    > > file system whicih does immediate directory compaction would require this.
    >
    > Actually all the file systems who do that on Linux (JFS, XFS, reiserfs)
    > have fixed the issue properly server side, by adding a layer that generates
    > stable cookies. You should too.
    >
    > -Andi
    >
    > -

    I take issue with the word "properly". We have bastardized our FS design to do it. NFS should not
    be allowed to impose stable cookie maintenance on filesystems, it violates layering. Simply
    returning the last returned filename is so simple to code, much simpler than what we have to do to
    cope with cookies. Linux should fix the protocol for NFS, not ask Craig to screw over his FS
    design. Not that I think that will happen.....

    Hans

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.022 / U:60.104 seconds]