    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] Re: 2.4.6 and ext3-2.4-0.9.1-246

    On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:27:33PM -0500, Steve Lord wrote:

    > We seem to have managed to keep XFS going without the memory reservation
    > scheme - and the way we do I/O on metadata right now means there is always
    > a memory allocation in that path. At the moment the only thing I can kill
    > the system with is make -j bzImage it eventually grinds to a halt with
    > the swapper waiting for a request slot in the block layer but the system
    > is in such a mess that I have not been able to diagnose it further than
    > that.

    That I can certainly reproduce. Cerberus is also capable of
    reproducing a stall after a few hours. I'm usually seeing
    create_buffers() as the place where the kswapd itself is deadlocked,

    It does need a _really_ high load to trigger this, though. A 200
    client dbench won't do it --- there are too many IOs slowing each
    process up. However, Cerberus, which produces a high VM load in
    parallel with the IO stress, seems pretty good at triggering the

    It also does seem worse on highmem machines, almost certainly because
    of zone imbalance problems: Marcelo has just started looking more
    closely at that as a result of the fine-grained VM monitoring patch
    (which showed clearly just how imbalanced the VM can get when you have
    a highmem zone).

    > A lot of careful use of GFP flags on memory allocation was necessary to
    > get to this point, the GFP_NOIO and GFP_NOFS finally made this deadlock
    > clean.

    Yep, with GFP_NOFS I don't see any fs deadlocks, but I'm still seeing
    the swapper blocked inside create_buffers (not within ext3 at all).
    That's not good.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.021 / U:7.868 seconds]