    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] Re: Filesystem can be marked clear when it is not
    Daniel writes:
    > I weighed in on that one too:
    > with a very simple sort-of patch, which I just made into a real patch.

    Ok, your patch works in this case (it is leaving sb->s_dirt = 1, however, so
    the superblock will be written out again shortly). In fact, the whole
    thing can be replaced with a call to ext2_write_super() in my code, which
    also turns off EXT2_VALID_FS and sets s_mtime, and writes it synchronously
    to disk. This means we can remove 2! lines from ext2_setup_super().

    It makes me wonder, though, if we clear EXT2_VALID_FS synchronously in
    ext2_setup_super() if we also need it in ext2_write_super(). If people
    mount their root fs read-write e2fsck will clear EXT2_VALID_FS and we
    may never hit ext2_setup_super() again to clear it, so I guess it needs
    to stay there.

    One of the other changes from my patch is that errors are also written
    out synchronously to disk, for the same reason - in case we crash shortly
    after having an error, and before dirty buffers are flushed to disk.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.022 / U:10.640 seconds]