SubjectRe: NWFS Submitted to Alan Cox
On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 02:54:18AM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 01:50:00PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I'm not a file sustem hacker, nor since I work for one vendor the
> > appropriate owner for larg chunks of code in some people's eyes. I
> > suspect the FSF is a much much better asignee for the code itself
> I assume the legal threats that Jeff has experience will follow the
> code? Surely before anyone wishes to adopt such a thing they should
> get legal advice about the situation?
> I would also expect if the FSF are not the assignee (the suggest that
> they be is a very good one), then whomever does adopt it might want to
> make sure they have some kind of legal representation available should
> they need it.
> It would be shame to let potentially useful code be left to die for
> fear of bully-tactics if their claims are unfounded.

Their power only extends to the borders of this state. They have little
ability to interfere wth someone in Swansea, Great Britian, or even
Silicon Valley, California. The problem I have is they can get the
local courts here to do whatever they ask. Not so other places. I think
it's pretty safe so long as I am not the one releasing it.