SubjectRe: Uncle Sam Wants YOU!
Date

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Pollard" <jesse@cats-chateau.net>
To: <kmw@rowsw.com>; "Kurt Maxwell Weber" <kmw@rowsw.com>; "J Sloan"
<jjs@mirai.cx>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: Uncle Sam Wants YOU!

[snip]
> >In that case, I have the following options:
> >1) Start my own ISP
>
> Only if the upstream provider doesn't require you to use windows.
>
> >2) Use Windows XP
> >3) Not use Windows XP and not be able to use my current ISP
> >4) Go to a different ISP
>
> You may not be able to find another. It took me a year. I gave up. I was
> fortunate that Verio doesn't care what you have... though if you use
> the dialup or basic dsl, MS is it, or no real support.
>
> >I'll just have to decide which I value more. As long as I won't be
killed
> >for using a different OS, I still have a choice.
>
> No, but you might be forced out of a job.

In one of the large metro areas in which I live, there are a LOT of ISPs
that do not require you to use Windows, but will not support you beyond the
IP layer if you don't. Use linux, install PPP with MS-CHAPv2 (with or
without MPPE) for your dialup connection and it works just fine on a
Winblows-only ISP. DSL or Cable, just acquire your actual IP settings
program a Linksys router/hub box and be done with it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.063 / U:0.188 seconds]