    SubjectRe: Uncle Sam Wants YOU!
    Date

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Jesse Pollard" <jesse@cats-chateau.net>
    To: <kmw@rowsw.com>; "Kurt Maxwell Weber" <kmw@rowsw.com>; "J Sloan"
    <jjs@mirai.cx>
    Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
    Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 3:03 PM
    Subject: Re: Uncle Sam Wants YOU!

    [snip]
    > >In that case, I have the following options:
    > >1) Start my own ISP
    >
    > Only if the upstream provider doesn't require you to use windows.
    >
    > >2) Use Windows XP
    > >3) Not use Windows XP and not be able to use my current ISP
    > >4) Go to a different ISP
    >
    > You may not be able to find another. It took me a year. I gave up. I was
    > fortunate that Verio doesn't care what you have... though if you use
    > the dialup or basic dsl, MS is it, or no real support.
    >
    > >I'll just have to decide which I value more. As long as I won't be
    killed
    > >for using a different OS, I still have a choice.
    >
    > No, but you might be forced out of a job.

    In one of the large metro areas in which I live, there are a LOT of ISPs
    that do not require you to use Windows, but will not support you beyond the
    IP layer if you don't. Use linux, install PPP with MS-CHAPv2 (with or
    without MPPE) for your dialup connection and it works just fine on a
    Winblows-only ISP. DSL or Cable, just acquire your actual IP settings
    program a Linksys router/hub box and be done with it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.024 / U:62.312 seconds]