    SubjectRE: temperature standard - global config option?

    > > From: L. K. [mailto:lk@Aniela.EU.ORG]
    > > I really do not belive that for a CPU or a motherboard +- 1
    > > degree would make any difference.
    > You haven't pushed your system, or run it in a hostile
    > environment then. There are many places where systems are run
    > right up to the edge of thermal breakdown, and it's a firm
    > requirement to know exactly what that edge is.
    I didn't pushed my system because I belive it performs well without
    overclocking. There are a lot of chances to fry the chip, and for this
    reason I use my system at the frequency my manufacturer gave it to me.

    > > If a CPU runs fine at, say, 37 degrees C, I do not belive it
    > > will have any problems running at 38 or 36 degrees. I support
    > > the ideea of having very good sensors for temperature
    > > monitoring, but CPU and motherboard temperature do not depend
    > > on the rise of the temperature of 1 degree, but when the
    > > temperature rises 10 or more degrees. I hope you understand
    > > what I want to say.
    > I have a CPU that runs great up to 43C, and shuts down hard at 44C
    > so I obviously want to know how close I am to that. I don't want
    > rounding errors to get in the way, and I don't want changes
    > between kernel revs to affect it either.

    It might be as you say, but I really do not belive that your chip will fry
    at 44C. I never seen a chip that fried becasue the temperature was 1
    degree greater that the one it supposed to work at. And I worked with a
    lot of CPU's and motherboards.

    > If we've got the bitspace, keep the counters as granular as
    > possible within the useable range that we're designing for.
    > counter = .01 * degrees kelvin

    I said, and now I'll say it again: I support the ideea of having very high
    precission, BUT this is not the case for personal computer, this may
    concern high-end systems that must run in a controlled environment at a
    fixed temperature.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.216 / U:2.020 seconds]