    SubjectRe: VM Report was:Re: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps
    On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, John Stoffel wrote:

    > Tobias> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > >> I gave this a shot at my favorite vm beater test (make -j30 bzImage)
    > >> while testing some other stuff today.
    > Tobias> Could you please explain what is good about this test? I
    > Tobias> understand that it will stress the VM, but will it do so in a
    > Tobias> realistic and relevant way?
    > I agree, this isn't really a good test case. I'd rather see what
    > happens when you fire up a gimp session to edit an image which is
    > *almost* the size of RAM, or even just 50% the size of ram. Then how
    > does that affect your other processes that are running at the same
    > time?

    OK, riddle me this. If this test is a crummy test, just how is it
    that I was able to warn Rik in advance that when 2.4.5 was released,
    he should expect complaints? How did I _know_ that? The answer is
    that I fiddle with Rik's code a lot, and I test with this test because
    it tells me a lot. It may not tell you anything, but it does me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.045 / U:96.068 seconds]