    SubjectRE: temperature standard - global config option?
    Date
    > From: L. K. [mailto:lk@Aniela.EU.ORG]
    > I really do not belive that for a CPU or a motherboard +- 1
    > degree would make any difference.

    You haven't pushed your system, or run it in a hostile
    environment then. There are many places where systems are run
    right up to the edge of thermal breakdown, and it's a firm
    requirement to know exactly what that edge is.

    > If a CPU runs fine at, say, 37 degrees C, I do not belive it
    > will have any problems running at 38 or 36 degrees. I support
    > the ideea of having very good sensors for temperature
    > monitoring, but CPU and motherboard temperature do not depend
    > on the rise of the temperature of 1 degree, but when the
    > temperature rises 10 or more degrees. I hope you understand
    > what I want to say.

    I have a CPU that runs great up to 43C, and shuts down hard at 44C
    so I obviously want to know how close I am to that. I don't want
    rounding errors to get in the way, and I don't want changes
    between kernel revs to affect it either.

    If we've got the bitspace, keep the counters as granular as
    possible within the useable range that we're designing for.

    counter = .01 * degrees kelvin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.021 / U:29.744 seconds]