SubjectRe: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps
Mike Galbraith <mikeg@wen-online.de> writes:

> > > The thing goes comatose here too. SCHED_RR vmstat doesn't run, console
> > > switch is nogo...
> > >
> > > After running his memory hog, swapoff took 18 seconds. I hacked a
> > > bleeder valve for dead swap pages, and it dropped to 4 seconds.. still
> > > utterly comatose for those 4 seconds though.
> >
> > At the top of the while(1) loop in try_to_unuse what happens if you put in.
> > if (need_resched) schedule();
> > It should be outside all of the locks. It might just be a matter of
> everything
>
> > serializing on the SMP locks, and the kernel refusing to preempt itself.
>
> That did it.

Does this improve the swapoff speed or just allow other programs to
run at the same time? If it is still slow under that kind of load it
would be interesting to know what is taking up all time.

If it is no longer slow a patch should be made and sent to Linus.

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:54    [W:1.314 / U:0.012 seconds]