    SubjectRe: [patch] Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac6
    "Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

    > On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
    >
    > > > No need to patch arch_get_unmapped_area(), but OSF/1 compatibility code
    > > > might need fixing. I suppose an OSF/1 binary must have an appropriate
    > > > flag set in its header after building with the -taso option so that the
    > > > system knows the binary wants 32-bit addressing.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure if COFF headers have such flag at all. I'll check this.
    >
    > Then how does OSF/1, especially the dynamic linker, know if a binary
    > needs 32-bit addressing? I suppose we could use the same way of
    > selection.

    There are two things you can do here, one is easy: use linker tricks to
    make sure that an application built on alpha -- with 64-bit pointers --
    uses no more than the lower 32 bits of each pointer for addressing.
    This should fix a ton of applications which cast pointer values to ints
    and similar garbage.

    The other option, hacking gcc to output "32-bit alpha" binary code, is a
    tougher job.

    I had mentioned this to Richard Henderson a while back, when I was
    wondering how easy it is to implement -taso under Linux, and IIRC he
    seemed to think that linker tricks were much easier.

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik | An expert is one who knows more and more about
    Building 1024 | less and less until he knows absolutely everything