SubjectRe: Break 2.4 VM in five easy steps
Derek Glidden <> writes:

> The problem I reported is not that 2.4 uses huge amounts of swap but
> that trying to recover that swap off of disk under 2.4 can leave the
> machine in an entirely unresponsive state, while 2.2 handles identical
> situations gracefully.

The interesting thing from other reports is that it appears to be kswapd
using up CPU resources. Not the swapout code at all. So it appears
to be a fundamental VM issue. And calling swapoff is just a good way
to trigger it.

If you could confirm this by calling swapoff sometime other than at
reboot time. That might help. Say by running top on the console.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.109 / U:2.016 seconds]