    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.5-ac9
    On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:20:41 -0400, Tom Sightler <> wrote:
    >> 2.4.5-ac9
    >> o Fix xircom_cb problems with some cisco kit (Ion Badulescu)
    > I'm not sure what this is supposed to fix, but it makes my Xircom
    > RBEM56G-100 almost useless on my network at the office. Actually, I can't
    > quite blame just this patch, it only makes the problem worse, the driver
    > from 2.4.5-ac3 worked, but with 1 second ping times, the new driver barely
    > works at all, it seems to think the link is not there, at least not enough
    > to pull an IP address.

    The patch does only one thing: it instructs the card not to negotiate
    full-duplex modes, because (for undocumented and yet unexplained reasons)
    full-duplex modes don't work well on this card.

    If you had problems before, then their cause is most likely elsewhere.
    1-second ping time is definitely wrong.

    > The last driver that worked moderately well for me was the one from
    > 2.4.4-ac11, it still had a few issues, mostly when resuming, but everything
    > worked at home on my 10Mb hub, and at the office on my 10/100Mb FD Cisco
    > 6509. I must admist that I haven't tested every version in between.

    The thing is, I don't really see any significant differences between the
    2.4.4-ac11 driver and the 2.4.5-ac9 driver. I see lots of clean-ups, some
    power management stuff, and the half-duplex stuff. None of them should
    affect the core functionality directly..

    Please do me a favor: comment out the call to set_half_duplex() (in
    xircom_up), recompile and see if it makes a difference.

    > One other note, the version in 2.4.4-ac11 is listed as 1.33 while the
    > version in 2.4.5-ac9 is 1.11, why did we go backwards? Were there
    > significant problems with the newer version? The 1.33 sure seems to work
    > better for me.

    The CVS version is almost irrelevant, I guess Arjan simply rebuild his

    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.022 / U:9.176 seconds]