    SubjectRe: When the FUD is all around (sniff).
    On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > I suppose they received some pression from M$, but if people read of a FUD
    > > from a M$ employed, then they can guess what is going on, if it is a
    > > newspaper usually telling facts in a correct way...
    >
    > It is common for newspaper staff to be corrupt, same with magazine people.
    > Sometimes because people generally believe in a cause and are not impartial
    > (which I've seen both pro and anti Linux btw) and sometimes because advertising
    > revenue is a good thing.
    >
    > > The situation is going to be sad
    >
    > There is a saying in he UK 'You can fool all of the people some of the time,
    > you can fool some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all of the
    > people all of the time'. You only have to look at the incredibly dim view
    > technical people take of most printed reviews to see that.
    >
    > Alan

    The problem here is the audience. That was on a major Italian newspaper,
    and targeted to business people. This is not technical FUD you can find
    on some magazines ("NT is faster" and so on). I personally don't care
    a bit, I've enough arguments to turn it into a holy war, at least.
    But the article summary could be: "Microsoft legal problems are going to
    end, Linus' ones are just starting." A clear message to IT managers who
    are about to decide how to invest thier IT budget.

    As for the saying, see http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT, and take 2 seconds
    to realize what that exactly means (both as a fact and as concept)
    and reconsider the part "but you cannot fool all of the people
    all of the time" (just s/people/business people/ and re-read). B-)

    .TM.
    --
    / / / Marco Colombo