SubjectRe: The Joy of Forking
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Rick Hohensee wrote:

> 2.4.5 is 26 meg now. It's time to consider forking the kernel. Alan has
> already stuck his tippy-toe is that pool, and his toe is fine.

> For a client-use Linux kernel, I suggest, and will be and have been
> persuing, features and non-features such as...
>
> forget POSIX

[junk]

> In short, an open source OS for end-users should be very serious about
> simplicity, and not just pay lip-service to it. There is evidence of the
> value of this in the marketplace. What doesn't exist is an OS where
> simplicity is systemic. This is why end-user issues pertain to the kernel
> at all. This is how open source should be. Simple, or at least clear,
> through and through. Linux has lost a lot of simplicity since I got into
> it in '96, and that is a loss.

Don't feed the trolls. The underlying kernel is nothing compared to an
entire system. End-users don't mock with kernels but install their
vendor's RPM, plus compiled Linux kernels are usually so much smaller on
my machines than FreeBSD kernels. So just ignore this.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.279 / U:0.068 seconds]