    From Android on Sunday, 24 June, 2001:
    >>I have come to the conclusion that linux is NOT suitable for the general
    >>desktop market.
    >I have to disagree on this. It runs fine on most PC's, as they use standard
    >devices. Just say NO to anything proprietary. This includes Toshiba. Makers of such
    >odd machines should supply their own native drivers if they want to be supported.

    I would have to concur, if it weren't for almost all manufacturers doing this.

    >>5: Better support for toshiba computers... well try =)
    >Talk to Toshiba. See if they are willing to part with "secret" information
    >so that you can create specific drivers for Linux. After that, I bet your next comp.
    >won't be from them. :-)

    I've been talking sometimes on the Toshiba list, trying to get Toshiba
    to support Linux officially (they do *unofficially*, as shown by the
    inclusion of Linux in a lot of their website). However, it doesn't
    look likely.
    I'd like everyone's help pressing Toshiba to open up some more of
    their specs. That'd be the ideal solution. I guess I'd go for
    binary-only drivers, if they'd maintain them well. It's sub-optimal,
    but it's a workaround for now. :)
    If you have Toshiba hardware, *please* tell them to support Linux
    every chance you get. Maybe after enough feedback from the
    community, they'll wise up.

    Oh, FYI, I am running the unstable distribution of Debian with
    the 2.4.5 kernel. Everything on my Satellite 1605CDS laptop works,
    with the notable exception of the scheiss-Winmodem. I've been
    talking with Conextant (the winmodem chipset manufacturers), so
    I'll see where that gets me. Be sure that if I get sufficient info
    (and time!!), I'll post what I know and *maybe* even deveop a
    pseudo-serial port driver. That'd require a *lot* of time, though,
    and time is in very short supply right now. :)

    Anyway, the basic message I wanted to convey was that you need to pressure
    your hardware manufacturer of choice to open up their specs so that
    *everyone* can use their hardware with whatever software they choose.
    It helps find bugs ("your spec says X, but the hardware *really* does
    Y"), and hey, they can hire only a minimal staff to do Linux support
    (if they offload the driver development and maintenance to the kernel
    developers. :)
    If something doesn't work with Linux, given experience and the sheer
    number of developers, chances are *very* good that the manufacturer
    is hoarding the specs. Unfortunately, it's a common practice that
    requires a good kick in the hiney. :)

    "IBM were providing source code in the 1960's under similar terms.
    VMS source code was available under limited licenses to customers
    from the beginning. Microsoft are catching up with 1960."
    --Alan Cox,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.027 / U:32.748 seconds]