    SubjectRe: Microsoft and Xenix.
    On Saturday 23 June 2001 20:13, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
    > Rob Landley <> writes:
    > > That would be the X version of emacs. And there's the explanation
    > > for the split between GNU and X emacs: it got forked and the
    > > closed-source version had a vew years of divergent development
    > > before opening back up, by which point it was very different to
    > > reconcile the two code bases.
    > No, sorry, wrong, for at least a couple of reasons reasons:

    I've had this pointed out to me by about five people now. Apparently there's
    more to emacs than I thought... (Considering its kitchen sink icon, this
    should come as a suprise to no one...)

    > I refer you to for
    > documentation---JWZ was Mr. Lucid Emacs for quite a time.

    Thanks for the link. I've also been pointed to Have to check
    out both next time I plug this laptop in to the net. (And I apparently need
    to set up a mailing list on this, since the number of people asking me to do
    so has now hit double digits...)

    I'll post a thing here when I do that so we can move at least most of this
    discussion off linux-kernel.

    > In 1987, there are any number of things that it could have been---I'd
    > guess either Unipress Emacs or perhaps Gosling Emacs.

    I sort of know about gosling's version. (It's mentioned in Stallman's
    history of emacs on Interesting how the same people keep popping
    up as you move from topic to topic. (Licklidder wasn't just a bigwig behind
    arpanet, he also kicked off project mac at MIT. Doug McIllroy who was one of
    the half-dozen figures behind the unix launch at bell labs came to BTL after
    working on project whirlwind at Lincoln Labs (I.E. MIT.) And of course Ken
    Olsen, hotshot at whirlwind behind core memory, creator of the memory test
    computer that (when donated to marvin minsky's computing lab) virtually
    created the whole "Hacker" phenomenon, whose wrote a paper as a graduate
    student suggesting the use of transistors in computers which convinced IBM to
    build the first fully transistorized computer (I -THINK-, timeline still a
    bit fuzzy there to claim "first", may just have been first commercially
    shipping one), and then of course went off to found Digital after tx-0...

    Hmmm... I should probably corner Alan Cox at some event and ask him about
    his Amiga days. (And I DID track down Commodore guru Jim Butterfield last
    year, he was living in Canada at the time. Just got back into computing
    after years with cataracts obstructing his vision, apparently...)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.024 / U:29.920 seconds]